The Waiting Game

I had my second course of treatment (technically 1b) on Wednesday. I got there at 1, saw the doctor right away and we went over how I did with my first round. He was really pleased with what I had to say;  my nausea and tiredness was manageable over the weekend and that I was feeling better by Monday afternoon. What he was REALLY pleased with was how much the node on my neck went down (which is why it was left there in the first place… to serve as a barometer). It no longer feels like there’s a big walnut in my neck. It’s still there, but it’s pretty flat now. He used the word “striking” when describing its shrinkage… I’ll take it.

Then it was time for treatment 1b. This is when the waiting took place.

Now PLEASE don’t take this as me complaining about waiting. I am definitely not complaining. Sadly there are a LOT of people with cancer and Bryn Mawr is good. People asked why they would make so many appointments for the same time. My thinking is they didn’t. It’s just that there were probably some delays in treatment for one reason or another (like there was in mine), and people were there longer than they normally would be.

So… There were no chairs for me in the chemo room because they were crazy busy, so I had to wait for about 20 minutes for one to clear. Once they sat me down (around 2), they accessed my port and drew some blood to test my levels. And then I waited again. Obviously with so many people, the lab was backed up as well, so I’m going to say it was 30 minutes before they came back.
Right when I was about to get my meds, the one nurse tells Janet (the one who has taken care of me both times now), that my white blood cells were juuuuust below the level where they won’t give me my chemo. Because it was so close to the edge, they had to talk to my doctor to see if he wanted to continue with the planned dosage, lower my dosage, or postpone my treatment. So after about 20 minutes they come back telling me that I can get my regular dosage but I have to come back the next day to get a Neulasta shot that will stimulate the bone marrow to make white blood cells. This may cause bone pain, so I need to take, of all things, CLARITIN, because it helps keep the bone pain at bay. My sister had mentioned this to me before I started treatments so I had it on hand, but I still think it’s CARAZAY.

Once we got all that squared away, the actual treatment was under 2 hours. I was out of there around 5:20. My mom took the kids that night because it was our anniversary, so Jay and I went out for a nice dinner and promptly passed out around 10. Of course, I woke up at 5 because chemo causes insomnia and Jay was up at 5:30 so apparently, our bodies wanted to protect us from thinking we should sleep past 7 at any point while the kids are still babies.

I went in for my Neulasta shot Thursday morning. OUCH. I’m not going to lie… it stings!

I woke up this morning a little run down but I still feel ok and I’m at work now.

Sidenote: I’m not sure if I’m losing my hair. Today was the first time I washed it since Tuesday. When I don’t wash my hair every other day, it falls out in clumps anyway, so this being the third day, I don’t know if it was normal or if it was the real deal. I’ll keep you posted.


2 thoughts on “The Waiting Game

  1. mariehelenebertino says:

    It’s a testament to your thick hair that you don’t know yet if it is natural shedding. I think a little wait is aok as long as the outcome is so positive! I am cheering for you, babes. Go, Beth, go! Go, white blood cells, go!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s